All Villages operate on the basis of certain core principles. Every Village consolidates access to benefits--most of which are provided by volunteers--so that one phone call (or e-mail) connects a member to a full menu of available services and activities. Every Village is guided by a Board of Directors, with ample input from both members and volunteers. Every Village is designed to build community, in an effort to revitalize treasured small-town values and front porch friendliness.
VF is the first operational Village in Alabama. Nationwide, each Village is different, reflecting the unique resources available in the local community and the desires and philosophies of local Village members. In addition to adhering to the fundamental Village principles mentioned above, VF:
- asserts that senior residents should have the opportunity to remain an integral part of our Auburn-Opelika community throughout their lives, remaining in the homes they have grown to love and maintaining the network of friends and neighbors they have developed through the years.
- values the cultural richness and diversity of our Auburn-Opelika community.
- values caring, kindness, neighborliness, resourcefulness, and the desire to serve others, all of which are in abundant supply in our community.
- values the willingness of nonmember Auburn-Opelika residents to volunteer their time and expertise in support of our mission. Moreover, VF values the volunteer experience itself, and expects that volunteers will find their association and work with us to be meaningful and rewarding.
- values the advice and opinions of our subscribers and volunteers, and pledges to routinely seek their input.
- respects the privacy, dignity, and independence of its subscribers and volunteers.
- values the commitment and generosity of its supporting partners and donors who help support us with financial and in-kind contributions.